Compiled for VIRGINIA NATIVE PLANT SOCIETY March, 2011.
CONTACT: Dr. Ruth Douglas firstname.lastname@example.org or at 434-293-6538 for updates
Web Sites for Information on Virginia Invasive Plants
- Department of Conservation and Recreation, Natural Heritage Division – Virginia invasive species information, including news, invasive species lists, fact sheets.
- Voluntary codes of conduct for gardeners and others who can affect the spread of invasive plants. Missouri Botanical Garden.
- “Plant Invaders of Mid-Atlantic Natural Areas” covering 82 invasive species and showing native alternatives.
- “A Field Guide for the Identification of Invasive Plants in Southern Forests” by James H. Miller, et al. Forest Service, Southern Research Station General. Technical Report SRS-119, 2010. Request print copy at email@example.com
- View on line www.srs.fs.usda.gov/pubs/35292. Also “A Management Guide for Invasive Plants in Southern Forests by Miller et al. is available, Gen. Tech. Rpt. SRS 131.
View at http://www.srs.fs.fed.us/pubs/gtr/gtr_srs131.pdf
- Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health, Univ. of Georgia. Information, images, publications, maps.
- Information about invasive plants in the U.S., including fact sheets. Plant Conservation Alliance.
Web Sites for Information on Virginia Native Plants
- Virginia Native Plant Society – includes information on growing native plants and a list of nurseries in VA and nearby states that carry native plants not dug from the wild as well as other information.
- “Native Plants for Conservation, Restoration, and Landscaping” Division of Natural Heritage, Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation.
A useful publication, available at http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/natural_heritage/nativeplants.shtml
- Native Plants for Wildlife Habitat and Conservation Landscaping, published by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and partners.
- Bringing Nature Home, by Doug Tallamy – Timber Press, Inc. 2010.
Presents case for gardening with native plants to support habitats for native animals. Web site provides information about what natives to plant.
- Piedmont Virginia Native Plant Database – Multiple ways to search for plants in this interactive database.